It’s noticeable that often when we speak in a language other than the one we were brought up in, we tend to get tied up in knots with complicated phrases which are a barrier to clear, confident communication.
Try using the simplest of words and phrases, expressed clearly and confidently.
Instead of using the complicated grammatical phrases we were taught by teachers more used to writing, rather than speaking English, try the direct approach:
“Let’s go to the cinema tonight” rather than “It might be a good idea were we to go to the cinema tonight.”
Although the second is also grammatically correct, it’s a complicated phrase designed to confuse both yourself and the people you’re trying to communicate with.
The reason English is the global language of communication is that it can be made simple through the use of expressions which, once learnt, are a path to simple communication.
And, once we’ve taken on board the habit of learning and using useful, everyday expressions you can concentrate on making your pronunciation sound as close to native English speakers as possible
Using a unique mirror mouth shape technology combined with the smartest of AI voice technology, veebsy helps you polish and perfect your accent to levels your teacher could only dream of.
Spoken English is about effective communication. Non-native classroom teachers are sometimes guilty of over-complicating the English language, more comfortable with written English rather than spoken. So, we suggest, keep it simple!
veebsy is a startup established in London. Our vision is to helps learners communicate to the very best of their potential in English. The app implements eight key features to enable learners to speak English.
- Pronunciation Exercises – Pre-prepared English exercises combine pronunciation improvement with real-world contextual expressions.
- Speech Recognition AI – Artificial Intelligence speech recognition technology gives real-time feedback to know how you are doing and improve via mouth-shape videos of every word.
- Mouth-shape videos – Videos accurately model the correct mouth shape so learners can work on specific areas for improvement.
- Speech Duet – Practice pronunciation of each word using mouth-shape videos and mirror technology.
- Live Pronunciation workshops – exclusive live sessions with British tutors, delivering tailored and bespoke content.
- Expressions – Useful expressions are introduced and explained by British coaches.
- Your Content – Users can choose to work on their material: a presentation, preparation for a meeting, speech or call.
- Dictionary – An in-built dictionary, powered by Oxford English Dictionary content, references every word in the English language, with audio modelling of pronunciation and intonation.